Sorting out finances
We recognise that the breakdown of a relationship can be a very stressful time. As well as the emotional toll of the end of a relationship, there are the financial implications of separation and divorce.
You may be able to agree between yourselves what should happen with the finances or it may be deeply contentious. In either case we strongly recommend you each seek independent legal advice on what the law says should happen to your assets and income and how to make any agreement binding so that you can both move on with confidence.
We can help you by:
- Advising on options for reaching an agreement about finances, including mediation.
- Analysing financial documents to properly understand the nature and extent of your ex-partner’s assets and income.
- Advising you on the court’s approach to distributing assets and income on divorce or separation.
- Robustly representing you in correspondence, court proceedings and/or arbitration.
- Preparing or advising on a consent order or separation agreement, which formalises any agreement in a binding and enforceable way.
David Kirkman is a member of Resolution, a body of professionals committed to a constructive approach to family law. He specialises in dealing with finances and child arrangements following separation or divorce. He has particular experience in dealing with high value properties, pensions and wealthy individuals.
Please contact us on 01873 852535 to discuss your individual circumstances and how we can help you.
If you have been a victim of domestic abuse and have a low income, you may be entitled to legal aid. We are just one of two Abergavenny firms to have a contract with the Legal Aid Agency, to help clients under legal aid.